Happy 8th Birthday! Your Daddy and I can hardly believe you're eight. We love reminding you of how little you used to be, how fat and sungit, and and, little. You are definitely not little anymore. You are turning out to be quite the young lady. And we are very very proud of you.

Last Sunday we celebrated your birthday. Last year, as all your classmates were turning 7 years old, and were throwing big birthday parties nearly every week, I think you felt you had missed out a little, because we celebrated in Hong Kong instead of having a party. You asked if you could have an 8th birthday party. Daddy and I talked about it and figured, why not? We won't have a theme or loot bags or a program, just invite your all classmates to swim in Daddy's office condo's pool. But early this year, when it was time to start planning, I asked you again what you wanted to do for your birthday, and you said you just wanted to invite a couple of close friends to play in the fountains in Bonifacio High Street. We don't know why you changed your mind about the party, if it had anything to do with Typhoon Yolanda, or if you just didn't think having a party was such a big deal after all. Whatever the reason, it made us happy and proud, not so much because we don't have to go through the hassle of throwing a party (although I will admit I was relieved I didn't have to organize one, I would have happily done it for you if you really wanted one), but mainly because it meant you have simple wants in life, and big glittery fancy things and events aren't important to you. And somehow this made us want to celebrate you and your birthday even more.

So I suggested that instead of playing in the public fountains (you wanted to wear your bathing suit and play in there), why don't we invite Mickey and Kai and their families to have lunch in Celebrity Sports with us Lapids and Juans? There are fountains in the pool there and you'll have more fun in the water. This idea was greeted enthusiastically, and with Lolo Dan and Lola Vinchu's help, lunch + swimming with friends was a very relaxed and fun way to celebrate your birthday. But that's not all we did when you turned 8. Because your birthday fell on a Sunday, Nana asked you if you wanted to eat out for dinner or stay in St. Ig and she will have your birthday catered. Tito Jojo said if we stay in St. Ig, he will organize games, and you said yes to eating in St. Ig and playing games. So after swimming was over, and our friends went home, we headed for St. Ignatius the four Juan kids and assorted grown-ups played classic Filipino birthday games like hit the palayok and going to market relay, and newspaper dance. There was also a flappy bird relay and a constructing a ball out of glow sticks relay. There were prizes for the kids, balloons, loot bags, everything. You even managed to hit the pot! Everyone had such a fun time on your birthday in Nana's house. What a wonderful way to turn 8.

The past year has been great. You were in Grade 2. We had a bit of difficulty with Singapore Math at first. There were times you were so frustrated at yourself that you would cry because you had already done an equation twice and still couldn't get the answer right. But sometime in the middle of the second term, you seem to have hit your stride and Math became easier and easier that we didn't have to cram anymore. You get straight As (except in Conduct. haha!) so you're doing really well. I felt it was time to sort of let you do your homework on your own, and not really hover you so much anymore. I wanted you to learn to be responsible for yourself and not rely on me or Yaya to remember the things you need to do or bring. This meant you got into trouble a couple of times but we worked it out, and I think you're on your way to becoming more independent and responsible. I want you to know that these are far more important than number and letter grades anyway. And being able to take care of your own tasks, knowing how to figure things out on your own, and taking responsibility for your actions or inaction is far more important than the grades you get on your report card.

Last year you also passed your first RAD exam in ballet and joined a big ballet recital in CCP. You dance so well and with so much feeling. Of course, maybe I'm biased because I am your mother but I think you were the best one there. And I hope you take your love for dance with you for the rest of your life because it will help you become poised and graceful, and also healthy and strong. Daddy and I are so very proud of you.
Just last month Daddy and I decided to put transfer you and Desi to Xavier in Nuvali, and for me to start working there already, and for the whole family to move there. The thing I was most apprehensive about this decision was how you, Desi and Ramon would take it. It could be a big sacrifice for you to leave your school, your friends, our neighbors, our dance school, basically our lives, because everything will change if we move. But somehow when I asked you about it, you were not merely willing, you greeted the prospect with enthusiasm. At first, your answer was, "I don't mind" but later on you were so excited that you were able to make Desi, who seemed scared, excited as well. And for me, knowing that you were excited to move is what made me feel that this is definitely the right decision. I think I would still have doubts if you didn't want to, if we had to force you, or coerce you. But you loved Nuvali when we visted, you loved the campus (especially the science lab) and you told all your classmates, and even Desi's teachers that you were transferring even if you hadn't even taken the test yet. You are so confident and bright, I am not only proud of you, I actually admire you. The big changes our family is about to face will be so much easier to adjust to because of your joy.

You are really turning out to be such a remarkable young lady. I love how nerdy you are, that you love to read. That you didn't ask for a barbie for your birthday but a microscope. That you have such a big and vivid imagination that you can draw your siblings and friends into pretend worlds with you. That you boss your siblings around and make them do the right things. That you like to dress simply or don't really care about what you're wearing, as long as it's comfortable. That you try to be friends with everyone. That you're a big My Little Pony geek. That as you're learning to use the internet you are drawn to Wikipedia and we find you reading random articles about Greek Mythology and Dante's Inferno. I love everything about you, even how you can be so sungit-taray, as Daddy likes to say.
You are my Lia love. I am on your side, no matter what.
Love, Mommy



No comments:
Post a Comment