Happy third birthday! I can't believe you're three years old today! You have had a long week of birthday celebrations and we still aren't done! We've been to Avilon Zoo for your birthday trip, to Greenhills and Greenbelt for gift shopping and to Fun Ranch for lunch with the whole family. We blew out your three candles on a Dora cake last night in St. Ignatius, and had another Dora cake for lunch at home today.

I cannot begin to tell you how great you are. Often your Daddy and I would say to each other, we totally lucked out on having you for a daughter because your goodness and smarts, we cannot claim to have instilled on you directly. The wonderfulness that is you must be straight from heaven. Yesterday, when Lola Vinchu gave you a bunch of gifts, you noticed that Desi wasn't receiving any. And without any prompting from any of us, you decided to give Desi one of your gifts. You did that again when Nana gave you her big bunch of gifts. Of course, you took the gifts back later on, but it shows that even at 3 years old, you have learned to share. And since you already know how to read, and say Please and Thank You, I think you already learned all you need to know in life.

You are creative and imaginative, and you have a wonderful sense of humor. You like to make up stories and situations, that it is a challenge to follow your train of thought sometimes. Like when you tell me to LOOK OUT FOR THE GIANT ELECTRIC FAN!!! I love how hard you laugh when I am blown away by the very strong wind. "WATCH OUT FOR THE BOWLING BALL!!!" is a little more difficult. Especially since you sprung this one on me while we were shopping at the mall. I thought fast and was able to avoid all the balls, each and every imaginary ball you rolled at me, I was able to jump out of its way. Even after you rolled me "MANY MANY BALLS!!!!!!" Whew! You almost got me there.

You are an active and playful child, you love running around and playing. And it is such a joy to watch you play with your baby sister. You love it when we put Desi in her andador. Desi adores you and follows you around, and you squeal with delight as you run away from her. I'm sure you can't wait until Desi can chase you for real, just as Desi can't seem to wait until she can walk, run, jump and play just like you. Your favorite place to go is Gymboree. When I tell you we are going to Gymboree, you light up with anticipation. You never forget when it's time to go to Gymboree, and I can get you to do anything with the promise of a Gymboree trip. It means you can run and jump and climb and slide to your heart's content. You're always all sweaty and tired afterward, but it's worth it to see you so happy and active.

I must admit though, that you are not like most kids I know, or kids I'm used to, who are always testing their limits, and rushing into things without a care in the world. I notice that you seem to have some inborn fears I cannot explain. Like, you only want to stay in the shallow part of the pool. Too long in the deep part scares you. You don't even want me or your Yaya Felma to go to the deep part of a pool. You didn't want me and Desi to go inside the helicopter in the playground in Clark. I think you were afraid it would fly away with us. You don't like carnival rides, not even the horses on a carousel. You don't like mascots, you don't like costumes, so no, you really really don't like Halloween. But despite all these fears, you always do your best to overcome your panic and forge on if you have to. So I think you are even braver for all of that. And Lia, I promise never to force you to go treat or treating ever again. Always only if you want to.

You are really growing up so soon and so fast. I am extra super proud to report that you have finally gotten the hang of toilet training. We resumed "real" potty training as soon as the New Year came. This time, I got over the whole, "in seven days" concept and just let you go at your own pace, but with a star chart. Oh yes, we have a chart in the bathroom full of gold stars, for every time you successfully make weewee or poopoo in the potty. Two weeks ago, you finally learned to tell someone you need to go before you do the deed. And just the other day, you even insisted on going potty when you weren't at home. Yay! You still have accidents but very seldom. Not perfect yet, but yesterday you were in panty the whole time in Katipunan and St. Ignatius. Sigh! This is a process for all of us, but soon I won't be able to tease you about wearing nappies anymore. Because when you've outgrown nappies, you really are a not a baby anymore. And as I had promised, you may start going to school when you're never in diapers anymore. This day may come sooner than we think!

Oh Lia, I am so very very proud of you. And also extremely proud of us. Three years ago, we started this journey together as you introduced me to motherhood, you showed me how wonderful and amazing it is to not only bring life into the world, but to care and love and nurture and give so much more than I thought I ever had. I found patience and strength I didn't know I possessed. I learned so much about myself and what I can do. You showed me how powerful unconditional love is, as the lover and the one receiving the love. I am truly blessed and honored to be your Mommy. I can't wait to see what more you will do in the coming years, to surprise and impress and make me fall in love with you again every single day of your life.

You will always be my little love, even when you are bigger than me.
I love you,
Mommy



happy birthday, lia!
ReplyDeletei love your letter. :)
awww.. Lia, happy 3rd bday. Bilis nga.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you'll grow up to be a wonderful child, lady- woman - with great parents, there's no doubt. :)
awwww. happy birthday little lia! =)
ReplyDelete(i'm afraid the fear of the deep end of the pool is ingrained in the juan children - it's all lolo art's fault)
happy birthday, lia!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday to Lia! :)
ReplyDeletehappy birthday lia!
ReplyDeletehappy birthday lia!
ReplyDeleteLia is so fortunate because when she grows up and reads all that her Mom has written about her, she will know how much love has been poured into her, love that is open and that she can count on for all of her her life.
ReplyDelete