lilypie tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Mommy's blog is still in RFL. This is all about the little Juans. Enjoy!

Monday, March 19, 2007

The Latest Exploits of The Center of the Universe


I just realized it's been over a month since I last updated Lia's website. It's not even because nothing has been happening, it's just that I've been trying to change the layout. Only problem is the masthead I painstakingly constructed with photoshop wouldn't show up on the internet. I can't understand it. In my frustration, I would feel uninspired to write about the latest news in Lia's glorious life.

If you're also wondering why I haven't come up with a month 13 letter, I decided to trim down the letters to one every two months after Lia turned 1. This is a precaution I came up with, in case I have more children. If I continue at the rate I went during Lia's first year of life, someday I will be writing several letters a month. That is too much to expect of any mom, doña or otherwise.

So, disclaimers aside, let me share what Lia has been up to the past few weeks.

Well, the week after her birthday we went to Dr. Jojo for her one-year-old check up and chickenpox vaccine. We always try to go there late and last, so that with no other patients waiting, Tito Jojo can play with Lia before giving her her shots. This time, with the help of a little gadget that's supposed to reduce the pain of an injection, Lia started to cry five seconds after the needle was in and out and gone. And only for a short time, as if more in protest rather than pain.

There we learned she's 8.3 kg (18.3 lbs) heavy and 72 cm (28 in) tall. This means she has gone back to her original 25th percentile and Tito Jojo predicts she will grow up to be only slightly taller than me. Oh well. Sorry Lia. This also means that very soon she will be 9 kilos. At which point she will have outgrown her car seat and we will probably get a new one. A "big girl" car seat. We probably don't have to, as I don't know any other kid in the Philippines who sits in a booster chair when riding the car, but knowing her Daddy, he will insist and it is not something I am willing to fight about. Anyway, it will keep her safe(r) and everyone will be happy.

It's amazing how aware she is of her surroundings and so charming how she reacts. At the mall, we could barely tear her away from toys and clothing displays alike, identifying them as she goes, "Boh!" as she runs after a rolling ball. "Nyumnyum!" at the apples in the Gingersnaps shop window. She waves and shakes hands with perfect strangers. In children's parties, she squeals and runs with the bigger kids, refusing to sit with her Lola Cora at the table, even when bribed with food. When we watched Migo's video of La Salle Idol, she, without prompting, raised her hands in the air and swayed side to side at the music. And when we kept telling her, that's Tito Migo! Tito Migo! She did the sign for "Ligo" So yes, she understood. Sort of.

Her latest display of articulateness was last Saturday at her Ninang Michelle and Daddy's birthday party when she strictly enforced her own curfew. We wanted to keep her there for as long as we could, but as soon as it turned 8pm, she made me pick her up and waved "bye bye" to the guests. She even actually said "Babay" clearly indicating she wished to go home. She wouldn't go with her Lola, or anyone else. She didn't cry, she just waved bye bye to everyone until finally, she let me give her to her Yaya who promised they would go home and sleep. True enough, when we got home (much later than she did), Yaya Jenny reported that after her bath, she fell asleep the instant she made contact with the bed.

Everyday, she amazes us with her brightness and personality. She always seems to understand more than she lets on. Sometimes inconsolably cranky, sometimes irrepressibly sweet. Sometimes quiet and focused, sometimes talkative and engaging. My daughter. At the age of one, such a delight to get to know. Things can only get better from here.


pictures:
1. With Mommy at Tito Jojo's clinic. Obviously, before she got her shots. Doesn't she look just like her Daddy in that photo?
2. At Nancy's new baby Carlo's christening, with the Umali boys (Mike's cousins) keeping a watchful eye. None of them have a younger sister so they are fascinated with Lia. King said, if they did (they're 6 boys in the family), the little girl would NEVER be let out of the house.
3. With her Lola Vinchu and Lolo Dan at Ninang's and Daddy's birthday party. Already getting cranky. It's late, everybody. Time to go home!





1 comment: