lilypie tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Mommy's blog is still in RFL. This is all about the little Juans. Enjoy!

Monday, July 3, 2006

Look who's a big girl now!

And so it begins. Another generation of girls offered as sacrifice to the Goddess of Vanity and Jewelry.

Lia got her ears pierced yesterday.


Doesn't she have just the most perfect little ears?

Dr. Tito Jojo pierced her ears last night at Nana's house in St. Ignatius. And of course, practically the whole CLAN was there. Crowding around, approving the perfect placement of the little dot that marked the center of her lobe, commiserating with the pain, ready to praise her and tell her she's pretty, and generally just watch. There's even a video. But after I viewed it back I've realized there's a limit to the images of my daughter I would put on the web. Anyway, only someone who enjoys watching a child get hurt would enjoy watching that film.

Lia isn't the kind of baby that cries at the smallest thing. Even when she's wet or hungry, usually she'd just complain loudly until someone figured out what she wanted. She's not one that laughs and smiles a lot either. She only displays extreme emotions when she's in pain or REALLY mad, or really REALLY happy. When her ears got pierced, she SCREAMED! Oh the agony! The torture! I was holding her to my shoulder so she was practically yelling into my ear. "Why are you doing this to mmeeeeee?????" "I've been so goooooddddd!!!" "I'll get you all for thiiiiissss!!!" Poor darling. After both ears were done, I nursed her and she stopped. But if anyone got too close to us, and touched her or talked too loud, she stopped nursing and threatened to cry again. When she finished nursing, she refused to be held by anyone else. When we tried to put her in her car seat so we could go home, she kicked at it and refused to settle down. We had to stop and coax and talk her into it and when she agreed, she went quietly. She was awake but silent through out the drive going home (no doubt plotting her revenge). When we reached the house, she was smiling at the househelp who came to look at her new golden earrings. And after her sponge bath, she promptly fell asleep. This morning, she was back to waking up all smiles so I'm hoping she's forgotten all her plans for retribution and come to realize that she looks very pretty with her new earrings.

While she was crying, I questioned myself, was it right for me to make my baby go through that? Should I have waited until she was a bit bigger and capable of saying No? Did I rob her of that right to choose? I don't know and I guess I never will. I did promise her after she got those piercings that from now on all her future piercings will be her choice and her ears are hers for whatever she wants to do with them. It was just that, she received no less than 6 pairs of earrings for her baptism, including this tiny little pair of pure gold studs from my grandmother that she may not be able to wear anymore in a few months. Sayang naman if she never gets to wear them.

So in the end, sorry if you were waiting for it, but I won't be posting the video of Lia's ears being pierced. But I did post a video of something much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment