Happy two years old! Wow. You are two. This time two years ago, we were just getting to know each other, you were learning to breastfeed, you were tiny and wrinkly and only ever smiled in your sleep. But now, you are a vibrant, beautiful, sweetheart of a girl. It's hard to get over how big you've gotten, and how nicely you've grown.

You turned two years old two days ago. It was a Sunday so we had brunch with the Juans and the Lapids in Big Red Barn, where you thoroughly enjoyed playing in the small play area they have set up there. You are very active! You like to climb and slide, you are really quite fearless, despite your size. Or perhaps you seem fearless because when we look at you we see a sweet little girl, but when you want to go up the big slide, even if it means climbing up ledges and steps that were really meant for bigger kids, no one can stop you, you are very determined. And so I think just because the place we ate had a play area like that you had fun at your birthday brunch.

After brunch, (and an hour playing in the balls) we hung out in Katipunan until it was time to go to St. Ignatius where you had another party! This time with balloons and a princess cake! And you were in a princess dress and everyone sang Happy Birthday as you blew the candles. You had a very very serious frowny face when you blew out your candles. Like it's been something you've been practicing for a long time, and that was your moment. To think before the candle blowing you were running around chatting, laughing, playing with your many many gifts and generally being a delightful two year old. The sudden change in you was really quite funny.

I remember several months back, after you turned one year old, Lolo Art would say we should stop signing to you because you still weren't talking. At that time you preferred to sign to express yourself. I said, there's nothing wrong with signing and you would talk when you're ready. And now you talk a mile a minute. We can't always understand what you're saying, but I know you always mean something. Sometimes you seem to have whole conversations with yourself, but more often I'm able to guess what you mean. And most often you do make sense. You are really quite good at conversing now, you're able to ask for what you want, what you don't want, what things are, where they are, and so on. You are very good at saying NO. And even more impressive, you know how to ignore your "Ninang" Michelle when she's trying to get your goat.

I've noticed that in the past couple of months, you've gotten much more comfortable around people you don't know. People always remarked at how quiet you are, possibly in comparison to your gregarious Ate. And I tell them you've very vocal and noisy and sweet and kulit at home. But it's only recently that that's coming out. Like in St. Ignatius, the past few Sundays you like to chatter during prayers, despite my attempts to make you quiet. But you seem to enjoy it and everyone seems to think it's cute. Last Sunday, you sat in Tito Chicho's lap during prayers. And after dinner, you sang songs with Tito Ogy on his lap while he played the piano. It makes me feel so happy and proud that others are seeing the you I see everyday. Sweet and friendly and lovely.

I really think you have a sense of humor, because you like to do things just because they're funny, like mess Ate's hair, or stick your finger in my nose. You like to make funny faces at the camera now, which makes for very cute photos. You also love babies, from how you like to play with Luis, wipe his laway with his shirt, tickle his belly button and hug him even when no one tells you to. You are generally laid back, you are not bothered when people around you do things that would normally annoy your older sister. But when you're adamant about something, you can be very insistent and stubborn. Definitely not a pushover to your Ate's tendency to boss you around.
I still call you my baby even if you're already two because you are. You are the darlingest little girl, who hugs and kisses for no reason, who greets me every morning with an enthusiastic MOMMY! Arms outstretched and running towards me. You don't sleep beside me anymore because your sleep training is done, and Daddy will be home soon. I have an easier time sleeping. But I do miss having that extra bonding time with you.

I think when the new baby arrives, you will make an excellent older sister. Just as you are an excellent little sister right now. You are smart (you know all your letters, numbers, colors, shapes plus maybe 20 songs) and good (you generally do whatever I tell you to do) and independent (when I took you to Ate Lia's school on her birthday, you joined another class and forgot I was there). I am excited to see the kind of woman you will turn out to be. I think you will be awesome.
But always, always, you are my baby.
I love you,
Mommy



Hi Desi, I fully agree with your mom. You're cute, pretty, intelligent, independent minded, vibrant, active and much more. Can't wait to bring you and Ate for diving. Lolo Dan
ReplyDeleteaw.. desi you look lovely. Belated happy bday. :)
ReplyDelete