Desi signed!
I've been making hand gestures at her since he day she turned six months. Waiting and waiting and waiting for her to wrap her head around the idea that "signing gets you what you want." Since she became an expert at Bye Bye, Beautiful Eyes and Clap Clap, I kept thinking, any day now. She'll sign deliberately. Like, maybe today. Or today. Or maybe today.
Well, last night, both girls and I were watching Bunnytown while waiting for dinner to be served. And Desi had been restless all day. She wasn't able to nap because we spent the afternoon
She signed it again to ask for water during dinner. Which is ok. It means she thinks the gesture means "drink" instead of "milk." And she did it again to me that evening after dinner when I signed and asked her "Dede?" She signed it back to me. And we nursed. And she fell asleep. YAY!
Not only that, she slept ALL NIGHT! Didn't even wake when Daddy arrived from the airport. She slept from 8:30ish to 6:00AM non stop! Wow! All those sleepless nights paid off. In just eight days of me refusing to nurse her after bedtime, she finally taught herself to keep sleeping. Praise be Jesus alleluia!
Now all that's left is for me to teach myself to sleep through unconscious kicks and headbutts. But that's ok. I'm just so happy and proud. Yay Desi! Way to go!



Yay! How cute! :)
ReplyDeleteHaha! Wow, too adorable for words. :D How long and how well did Lia sign before she learned to speak?
ReplyDeleteDon't know if it's a Juan or Lapid trait. Desi's first sign word is to drink. Make sure it's limited to milk and water. At least for now while she's under 18.
ReplyDeleteWow, we can feel your pride and happiness in that entry! Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteHm. Let's see. If I remember right, and I checked by looking at old blog entries, Lia started signing shortly before she turned 10 months (like Desi). And spoke her first words shortly before turning 1. She sort of learned to sign and speak at the same time. Saying the words she can say (like boh (ball), boo (book), etc) and signing the words she can't pronounce (dede, fish, etc). And then as she kept learning how to talk, she gradually forgot her signs.
ReplyDelete