I felt the pressure then. Read up on potty training and sure enough, according to Dr. Spock, you can start potty training at 18-24 months, depending on your child's development. Now, Lia is very developed. She's little, but I don't know any other two year old who knows all the letters in the alphabet and counts in three languages. But also, most nights she doesn't weewee in her diaper anymore, so I took that as a sign that she's already trainable.
Last week, Mike bought her this cute little potty seat (I felt it would be easier to train her on a seat of her own rather than those things you just put on top of a grown up toilet cause she's really independent and likes to do things on her own) and my plan was for every morning when she woke up, we'd encourage her to sit in the seat and make weewee. But she'd always thwart us by either wetting her diaper overnight, so she didn't feel like making weewee when she woke up, or being in a really foul mood that she can't be persuaded to do anything but be carried by her Yaya and sulk. My daughter, not a morning person. She got that from me.
Actually, this is the one thing about parenting I'm not that sure I know how to do. My general plan is, once she does make weewee (or poopoo) in the potty, to get all excited and affirm her so that she will want to do it again, until she figures out that she can warn us before hand when she wants to go, and then bring her. That's the general gist of it. I haven't read any detailed books on how to do it. And just this evening, I was getting impatient at the little potty seat that has never been used, I considered buying that "Toilet Training in Less Than a Day" book.
But tonight, when we got home from Mike's birthday dinner, her Yaya asked her if she wanted to make weewee in the potty before taking a shower. So they removed her diaper and she sat there, and SHE DID IT! My baby. *sniff!* she's really a big girl now, I'll be buying her panties soon! We are so ecstatic and proud, I just had to share.
So that's our latest first. First time to make weewee in the potty. :-) Yay Lia! It's really time we saved the environment because disposable diapers take 200 years to biodegrade.
And happy birthday Daddy! We love you.



Oooh. Happy Birthday Mike. I thought his birthday was 23. But wait... that's you. I'm so confused.
ReplyDeleteCongrats Lia!
Hahaha! Si Mike March 18. Ako October 23. :-)
ReplyDeleteTito Jojo told us that each baby has his/her own schedule to follow depending on the maturity of their bladder ...or something like that. For some it may take as early as 16months or longer than 3 years to potty train a child. What's important is the child is not so pressured that it becomes a burden already. I know stories of children being brought to the potty in the wee hours of the morning in their sleep so that they won't wet their beds. It was their interpretation of toilet training. :-( Ayo may have done it by age 2 but hey I bet Lia can do other things which Ayo couldn't at age 2, right Lia? Uno, dos, tres... Go Lia!!! hahaha
ReplyDeleteLola Vinchu, you're comparing ha. ;-) Pressure, pressure. (Hope you're having a nice vacation, Vinch.)
Excuse Lia's very supportive "tita." :-)
Oo nga! Pressure!
ReplyDeleteHahaha! But I took it as a good sign that she did it last night. So maybe she's ready. Of course, when we took her to the potty this morning, she didn't make weewee. And then about 10 minutes later she wet her diaper. Hahaha! In fairness, she weed on the tile floor and not on the carpet. Ah well. We will still need diapers, and we still need to practice. :-) I'm sure she'll get the hang of it eventually. Thanks Tita Marifel!
Ooh, that's so cute, Ina! I can just imagine her sitting on that cute little potty seat that and making weewee (for the first time!!). Ah, can't wait to have one of my own. Not the potty seat ha... The baby! :)
ReplyDeleteMaligayang Kaarawan, Mike. Cheers!
ReplyDeleteCongrats Lia on your new milestone! We're also blessed to have the girls completely potty-trained before turning 2. Ang laking tipid sa diapers. hehe.
How did you do it? I'm so clueless! We tried again this morning, "Want to weewee in the potty?" She said, "No!" and then ten minutes later she wets her diaper. :-( Boo! What's your strategy?
ReplyDeleteOh Donna, it's the best thing in the world to be a Mom. Minsan din, mahirap at nakakaloka, and likely din masmahirap as they grow up, but it's WAY FUN! :-)
ReplyDeletePlus I think you'd make a great mom.
for some reason...they just did! we were not able to use their potty chair nga or kiddie cover sa toilet bowl. basta dumerecho lang sila sa regular bowl. pinagtyagaan din ni bing at mga yaya nila before sa pinas na maging routine umupo sa toilet during the time na madalas sila poop. then, tyagaan lang hanggang masanay. :-)
ReplyDelete